- This event has passed.
Celebrate Prince Kuhio Day at Ka Makana Ali’i Mall
March 26 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
The West Oahu center invites guests to celebrate Prince Kuhio’s legacy with ceremonies, entertainment and a local craft fair on March 26
KAPOLEI, HAWAII (March 23, 2017) — With much excitement, Ka Makana Alii welcomes visitors and residents of West Oahu to celebrate Prince Kuhio Day at the new regional shopping center in Kapolei. Taking place on Sunday, March 26, the all-day celebration will include an opening ceremony, entertainment, interactive workshops and a craft fair highlighting both traditional Hawaiian arts and modern interpretations of Hawaii’s unique lifestyle.
Beginning at 10:00 a.m., the Prince Kuhio Day opening ceremony will be performed by the Royal Order of Kamehameha, Kamaka Pili, President and Founder of the Hawaii Arts and Hospitality Association (HAHA) and Hoomau Ke Ola. The festivities will begin with a traditional ceremony honoring the portrait of Prince Kuhio at Center Stage, moving then to popular retailer Noeau Designers, where guests may observe a painting by celebrated artist Leo Hone that pays tribute to Prince Kuhio and the Royal Order of Kamehameha.
Musical performances featuring slack key guitar artist Aja Gample continue the celebration from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., followed by a presentation by the Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii Hale Pono Club Halau at noon. The musical performances will continue after a brief lunch recess and will feature the musical talents of guitarists and vocalists Byron Fonseca, Lance Namuo and Mark Campos from 1:30-2:30 p.m.
Taking place from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m., the HAHA Craft Fair will feature a wide range of arts and crafts produced by local artisans, highlighting both traditional Hawaiian arts and modern interpretations of Hawaii’s unique lifestyle.
From 12:00 to 2:00 p.m., Uncle Nalu of Na Maka Kahiko invites guests to learn the traditional Hawaiian art of bamboo carving with a contemporary twist to make various unique accessories, including earrings, hair picks and custom stamps. The workshop is priced at $30.00, with limited availability. Interested participants may request reservations online at www.nhace.com.
The Prince Kuhio Day celebrations will come to an end with a performance by popular ukulele and guitarist Moon Kahele at 3:00 p.m., followed by traditional dance performances by Kumu Pam Divine Halau and Hula Mai Ka Puuwai A Ka Manao from 4:15 – 5:00 p.m.
In honor of Prince Kuhio Day, HI Cravings will also be featuring a one-of-a-kind “Kuhio Bowl”, available exclusively at Ka Makana Alii on Sunday, March 26. A local favorite, HI cravings features traditional acai bowls topped with seasonal fruit and creative ingredients, like vanilla chips and bee pollen.
– Event: Ka Makana Alii Celebrates Prince Kuhio Day
– Date: Sunday, March 26, 2017, from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
– Location: Ka Makana Alii 91-5431 Kapolei Pkwy, Kapolei, HI 96707
– Entertainment Lineup:
– Opening Ceremony — 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
– Aja Gample – Slack Key Performance — 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
– Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii Hale Pono Club Halau — 12:00 p.m. – 1:00
– HAHA Craft Fair — 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
– Bamboo art workshop — 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
– Price per participant: $30.00, Maximum participants: 20
– Workshops and information can be found and pre-booked at
– Musical Entertainment — 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.:
– Byron Fonseca, Slack key guitar & vocals
– Lance Namuo, Bass guitar & vocals
– Mark Campos, Rhythm guitar & vocals
– Moon Kahele — 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
– Kumu Pam Divine Halau, Hula Mai Ka Puuwai A Ka Manao — 4:15 p.m. –