- This event has passed.
Celebrate Queen Emma Day at Ka Makana Ali’i
April 23 @ 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
The West Oahu center invites guests to join in the celebration of Hawaii’s beloved 4th Queen on Sunday, April 23, 2017
KAPOLEI, HAWAII (APRIL 19, 2017) — With much excitement, Ka Makana Alii welcomes visitors and residents of West Oahu to celebrate the legacy of Queen Emma Kalanikaumakaamano Kaleleonalani Naea Rooke. From 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 23, the center will offer an exciting agenda of performances, arts and crafts, cultural workshops and live entertainment.
“We are honored to work with the Native Hawaiian Arts & Culture Expo to host an event that pays tribute to Queen Emma’s reign and celebrates the unique culture of the state of Hawaii,” says Stephanie England, general manager of Ka Makana Alii. “This series offers an important opportunity to educate our communities, as well as visitors to our state, about Hawaii’s rich history and the leaders whose influence continues to impact our lives positively today.”
Beginning with an opening ceremony at noon, the day’s festivities will continue with traditional hula performances honoring Queen Emma and a Slack Key concert by popular local artist Aja Gample. The center will also offer cultural workshops and an arts and crafts fair, where guests can purchase artisanal items that celebrate Hawaii’s unique history.
- Event: Celebrate Queen Emma Day at Ka Makana Alii
- Date: Sunday, April 23 — 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Location: Ka Makana Alii, 91-5431 Kapolei Pkwy, Kapolei, HI 96707
- Entertainment Lineup:
- Opening Ceremony — 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Leilehua High School Halau, hula performance — 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Aja Gample, Slack Key — 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Halau O Ulumahiehieoeokalani, hula performance Kumu Hula Kalani Apana — 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Halau Kiuwailehua, hula performance Kumu Hula Sonny Jean Irvine-Preston — 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.