The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) and contractor Ansaldo Hawaii
Joint Venture are set to begin live testing of the first rail cars to be used in Honolulu’s
Rail Transit Project. This will be the first time ever trains will operate on the guideway
under their own power. For testing purposes, trains will have operators on-board
however, when operational, the trains will be fully-automated and driver-less.
As part of the process, engineers will also be energizing the contact rail or, so called
“third-rail” used as the rail cars’ power source. All testing will be done within restricted
zones for the safety of the public and contractors. As testing expands, more guideway
segments will be brought online.
Train testing will examine the acceleration and operational abilities of the rail cars under
varying load conditions and at speeds of up to 55 miles per hour. Braking tests will also
HART is working to raise public awareness about the dynamic section electrification and
train testing. As testing begins, all rail tracks should be considered live and dangerous.
Contact with all rail tracks is to be avoided.
Testing dates of note:
- Tuesday, September 5 – Waipahu Traction Power Sub-Station short circuit test
- Wednesday, September 6 – Initial energization of third rail in testing section
- Late September – Early October – Rail cars testing on energized track
- There is to be absolutely no access to testing sections
- Always consider all rail tracks as LIVE at ALL TIMES
- Respect all safety signage installed in test areas
- Absolutely no stepping or sitting on 3rd rail cover boards
- Absolutely no placing of conductive materials on or near 3rd rail